BERKELEY, CA (BRAIN)—High school mountain bikers were honored at a ceremony attended by many of the nation’s industry leaders at the Clif Bar and Co. headquarters in Emeryville, Califonia this past Saturday.
Three Marin residents were among those singled out for exceptional contributions. San Anselmo residents Sofia Hamilton and Will Curtis each received a Specialized Student Athlete Leadership award. Fairfax resident Paul Chourre received one of three SRAM Coach of the Year awards, according to a press release.
Berkeley residents Austin McInerny, Francis Chapman, Emma Worldpeace, and Paul Goessling received the Shimano Community Impact, Gu Energy’s Innovator, and Fort Lewis College Distinguished Alumni awards respectively, and Paul Goessling received one of three Clif Bar and Co. Volunteer Service awards Albany resident Albert Reinhardt received the Primal Wear Digital Media award
The National Interscholastic Cycling Association presented awards to 17 of the individuals that the Association considers to be the most outstanding athletes, most dedicated coaches, and most passionate volunteers to have supported the high school mountain biking revolution.
Matt Fritzinger, executive director of NICA, said, “Most of the time you don’t hear about these people. Normally it’s me being quoted in the press releases and giving interviews on behalf of NICA, but the truth is most of the work is done by a large network of prodigiously talented volunteers, and we consider it important that at least some of these individuals get some public recognition. They are as much in the fabric of NICA as anybody is. What’s more, they are key contacts for mountain biking development in the areas where they live.”
The award winners are as follows:
* Specialized - Student Athlete Leadership Will Curtis, San Anselmo, CA
* Specialized - Student Athlete Leadership Sofia Hamilton, San Anselmo,CA
* Trek - All Star Athlete Zach Valdez, Hemet, CA
* Trek - All Star Athlete Lindsay Dye, Broomfield , CO
* Fort Lewis College - Distinguished Alumni Emma Worldpeace, Berkeley, CA
* SRAM - Coach of the Year Ben Boyer, Boulder, CO
* SRAM - Coach of the Year Lee Bird, Pasadena, CA
* SRAM - Coach of the Year Paul Chourre, Fairfax, CA
* Clif Bar and Co. - Volunteer Service Mark Kintz, Monterey, CA
* Clif Bar and Co. - Volunteer Service Donna Woods, Monterey, CA
* Clif Bar and Co. - Volunteer Service Paul Goesling, Berkeley, CA
* Shimano - Community Impact Austin McInerny, Berkeley, CA
* Specialized - League Founder Quintin Reich, Newport Beach, CA
* GU Energy - Innovator Francis Chapman, Berkeley, CA
* QBP - Race Production Partner Keith DeFiebre, Monterey, CA
* Primal Wear - Digital Media Albert Reinhardt, Albany, CA
* Legacy Award Jim Easton, Van Nuys, CA