KONA, HI (BRAIN) — Continuing a long tradition, journalists at this weekend's Kona Ironman championships counted bikes and other gear used by athletes at the legendary event.
The full count is published on Lava Magazine's website. Some highlights:
- Cervélo's count declined a hair since last year, from 488 to 483. The Toronto brand still dominates the count, however.
- In the last three years, Trek has passed Specialized for the number 2 spot behind Cervélo.
- Zipp dominated the 2012 wheel count, with 2041 bikes outfitted with SRAM's wheel brand. HED was second at 248, followed by Mavic with 154.
- Fi’zi:k, ISM, Selle Italia, Specialized and Cobb were the top saddle brands this year.
- Profile Design, Vision, Bontrager, 3T and Zipp were the top aero bar brands.
- Men's pro winner Pete Jacons was aboard a Boardman bike with Zipp wheels.
- Women's pro winner Leanda Cave was on a Pinarello with Easton wheels.
For more, including counts of components, power meters, pedals, helmets and more, see LAVA Magazine.