Follow Bicycle Retailer

You are here

IBD Sees Growth in September

Published October 27, 2010

BOULDER, CO (BRAIN)—Merchandise sales at cycling specialty retail totaled $243 million in September, up 5 percent from September 2009, according to the Leisure Trends Group.

Bicycle sales were up 2 percent in units for the period, but a 6 percent increase in average selling price pushed total dollar sales up 8 percent. The average retail selling price for all bicycles was $681 for the month, up from $642 last September.

Road bike sales drove much of the bike category growth this month with an impressive 19 percent gain in dollars and 22 percent in units. Sales were likely aided by a strong inventory position with retailers’ on-hand inventory at approximately 163,000 units at the end of September, 7 percent above the same period in 2009. Mountain bikes, while up 8 percent in dollars and 6 percent in units, may have been hindered by a particularly lean inventory of 188,000 units or 17 percent fewer than last period. Transit/ Fitness bikes were up 6 percent in units sold this month and Lifestyle/ Leisure saw modest 1 percent unit growth. Both categories saw similar lean inventory levels, down 15 percent and 14 percent, respectively, from end-September 2009.

Shoes got some help from the skinny-tire crowd as road bike shoes were up 26 percent in dollar sales based largely on a 17 percent jump in ARSP to $139. Road shoe units were up 8 percent for the month. All other shoe categories were down in both units and dollars. Helmet and apparel dollar sales were down 5 percent and 4 percent, respectively, with fewer units moving out the door.

Aftermarket accessories saw 5 percent dollar growth on the strength of electronics, eyewear, hydration and car racks. All accessory sales totaled $44 million at retail this September. Aftermarket parts grew 1 percent overall, with gains coming from pedals, forks/suspension and wheels.

Join the Conversation