Follow Bicycle Retailer

You are here

Report: IBD sales rebound in November

Published January 8, 2013

BOULDER, CO (BRAIN) — Sales at IBDs bounced back in November after October declines, with overall annual sales remaining on track for a record 2012, according sell-through data from the Bicycle Product Suppliers Association and Leisure Trends Group.

November merchandise sales rose 1 percent from a year earlier to $138 million to put year-to-date sales at $3.1 billion, up 6 percent from the year-ago period.

Bicycle sales, however, crept down 2 percent in units and 3 percent in dollars for November to $63 million, the lowest monthly total for 2012. Dollar sales for road bikes dipped 12 percent, and non-29er mountain bikes continued to decline, tumbling 15 percent.

Though bike sales were down, other product categories helped make up the lost ground: Helmet sales shot up 14 percent to $4 million; aftermarket components rose 10 percent to $10 million; and tires and tubes also jumped 10 percent to $8 million.

Join the Conversation