BOULDER, CO (BRAIN)─Bikes Belong has just completed a survey of more than 150 bicycle retailers from nearly 40 states to see if their summer 2008 sales reflect an increase in the use of bicycles for transportation.
The majority of retailers who responded said their sales of transportation-related bicycles, accessories and service have increased in 2008 compared to 2007:
* 73 percent said they are selling more bikes.
* 84 percent said they are selling more accessories.
* 88 percent said they are selling more service.
Is this increase in sales because of high gas prices? Most retailers who Bikes Belong surveyed think so:
* 95 percent of shops said customers cited high gas prices as a reason for their transportation-related purchases.
* 80 percent of retailers said gas prices were helping them sell more bikes for transportation.
* 86 percent thought accessory sales were getting a boost.
* 89 percent said they were selling more service because of high gas prices.
Click on link for PDF of full survey results.