You are here

Michigan Shop Gutted by Fire

Published November 8, 2010

GRANDVILLE, MI (BRAIN)—The owners of a Grandville bicycle shop destroyed by fire plan to rebuild.

A gas station clerk spotted the flames inside Chicago Drive Cycling and Fitness around 3:30 a.m. Saturday, and called authorities, according to WZZM13. Investigators believe an electrical problem sparked the fire, which took them a couple hours to control. Crews had to fight the fire from the outside because of the thick smoke and intense heat.

Four generations have worked in the family owned shop, which opened 73 years ago.

"When I got here, my parents were just emotionally in an uproar, you know, [saying] 'What are we going to do?' and all this stuff. And I said, 'Hey, we can rebuild it. It's fine. We'll go on," said Evert Klomp Junior, who manages the store.

Join the Conversation