LAGUNA HILLS, Calif. (BRAIN) — The U.S. bike industry employs more than 71,000 people and generates $6.5 billion in annual sales. Bike advocates are wielding numbers like that when they visit Capitol Hill in search of support.
The August 1 issue of Bicycle Retailer & Industry News includes our annual stats package and a look at how advocates interpret those numbers.
In an effort to get a “big picture” view of the U.S. bike world, the issue takes a look at participation figures, bicycle import figures, the state of retailing — IBD and otherwise — race event popularity, and even takes a look at a study of the environmental impact of bike manufacturing.
This issue of BRAIN also includes:
- Why SR Suntour says it’s not responsible for the massive recall being conducted by Trek and Scott
- A look at Pacific’s new line of Hoffman Bikes being sold at Dick’s Sporting Goods
- A visit to ODI’s U.S grip factory
- A remembrance of Junzo Kawai, the former president of Suntour, who died at 94
- News about Sport Chalet’s purchase by the owner of EMS
- The Grapevine, Mad Dog Unleashed, staff and guest editorials and Shop Talk — Patrick O’Grady’s bike-shop based cartoon strip